The “underboob” fashion trend is continuing to cause controversy in Korea.
A recent post in an online community is catching attention after the author asked for opinions on “underboob” trend resulting in a lot of comments being posted. Netizens wrote, “I understand crop top fashion but underboob just looks embarrassing and uncomfortable.”
Underboob became a trend overseas after celebrities Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid and Kylie Jenner wore it at the beginning of this year. At the time, underboob was rarely seen in Korea.
Many questioned whether such a trend could be digested and become popular in Korea but recently Korean idols have began wearing it and the number of mentions is increasing.
Blackpink‘s Jennie wore underboob at French designer Jacques fashion show in March and Hyuna also posted a photo wearing underboob on IG confirming interest in underboob has grown in Korea.
Currently, if you search ‘underboob‘ on IG, over 1,000 posts are shared daily.
The domestic fashion industry is also paying attention as overseas brands like H&M have attracted attention by launching underboob fashion in various designs.
A Korean fashion industry official stated, “Unlike crop tops, there are many opinions that underboob is too radical so it’s hard to see it become a trend in Korea. It also doesn’t fit with our brand identity.”
- [+2,588, -62] If I see anyone wearing that on the streets, I’m filing a report with police for public indecency.
- [+1,773, -97] Why is Jennie even wearing underboob ㅋㅋㅋ. Is this a comedy? ㅋ
- [+638, -58] The origins of ‘underboob’ go way back to Korean women fashion tops from the late Han Dynasty in the Joseon era as a way for women to step away to breastfeed.
- [+314, -22] Whether it’s a trend for MZ gen or whatever, it’s obvious to anyone looking that it’s fashion for attention wh*res. They can’t get attention for their talents so they go for the easiest most convenient way using their bodies. At least leggings are comfortable, but what is this fashion? It just screams “look at me.” Stop forcing your freedoms on other people. I mean is this even freedom or self-indulgence?
- [+232, -19] The girl on the right.. that’s not Kim Chae-won? Is that really Bibi?
- [+147, -11] Real women wouldn’t be caught wearing such fashion or leggings.. looks f*cking ugly ㅡㅡ
- [+100, -2] Just think of it from the other side.. I’m a woman too but even I think it’s terrible.
- [+98, -6] Aigoo.. that a real picture? So embarrassing to see as a fellow woman.
- [+77, -4] Jennie is.. uh.. well, an example of exactly what can go wrong.
- [+66, -5] There’s barely any underboob to see on Jennie.. why does she keep wearing it?ㅡㅡ