Source: Chosun Ilbo
Protesters are demanding that President Yoon Seok-yeol resign.
On the afternoon of the 5th, a rally to commemorate the Halloween disaster was held near City Hall Square in Seoul. At around 5pm, a candlelight vigil occupied 4 lanes for 2 hours near Sejong-daero to remember the victims. The organizers stated 50,000 people had gathered as of 6pm but police estimated there were 9,000. On this day, in addition to Seoul, candlelight vigils were held in Gunsan, Chuncheon, Suwon, Buan, Busan, Daegu, Gwangju, and Jeju.
On the same day, protesters also commemorated victims wearing black ribbons on their chests and held up placards with the words, “Remember the Itaewon victims” and “Resign Yoon Seok-yeol.”
During the memorial service, a representative stated, “the Yoon Seok-yeol administration and the ruling party should stop using scapegoats to escape responsibility for this tragedy. Our society should never again retreat to a backward country ruled by tyranny of incompetent and irresponsible powers.”
Protesters shouted, “Let’s bring down Yoon Seok-yeol!” and, “The real fight has started now.”
- [+27,682, -5,478] In the end, these reckless protests led to the Itaewon disaster. Because of the Yoon Seok-yeol protest that day, police couldn’t be deployed to Itaewon due to lack of manpower and caused a disaster to happen. Arrest them all and throw them into a dark room! They’re heinous criminals that killed our people!
- [+16,093, -2,197] You guys are the main culprits of the Itaewon incident!!
- [+11,978, -1,538] What kind of commemoration service is this? I thought this was a candlelight vigil? These ba$tards that are injecting themselves there are the problem.
- [+8,774, -844] They came to the memorial service to instigate and manipulate..
- [+6,462, -733] The only way for our country to survive is if those politicians are put to death.
- [+2,642, -4,422] The Minjoo party is all crickets? Weren’t they asking for impeachments? Lee Jae-myung, Moon Jae-in, they were so loud on SNS but are so quiet right nowㅋㅋㅋ. They were so afraid and wouldn’t dare go against the winds at the time. Like the Sewol Ferry, they’re probably working hard in the back waiting to see public opinion first ㅋㅋㅋㅋ?
- [+2,284, -331] If you’re there to commemorate, then commemorate. Don’t use the tragedy of others to rally for someone’s resignation. Those rallies and protests they’d been holding through the past week contributed to this tragedy!
- [+1,978, -354] If you hadn’t been out protesting that day, there would’ve been plenty of police manpower to respond to the disaster… all of you that gathered today are murderers !!!!!!!!!!!!
- [+1,424, -205] Are they not bored of this? Looks like they got tired of yellow ribbons and started wearing black now.. you’re the psychopaths for turning this country into the mess that it is!
- [+305, -43] Leftists should f*ck off to North Korea!