A recent Instagram story post by BLACKPINK’s Rosé became flagged by some netizens for the use of a controversial ‘Ilbe’ term.
On January 3, Rosé wished her group member Jisoo a sweet “Happy Birthday” via her Instagram story, writing, “Our eldest cutie pie Jisoonie. I really really wish you a happy birthday. I hope that you will have the happiest day in the world. I love you~~~”.
Here, Rosé deviated from the traditional phonetic spelling of the Korean phrase “neomu neomu” to mean “really really”, instead writing, “nohhmu nohhmu”. However, the use of “nomu nomu” has previously caused controversies as an ‘Ilbe’ term allegedly used by extreme conservatives to negatively reference South Korea’s former president Noh Moo Hyun.
As a result, some netizens debated Rosé’s use of the term in her Instagram story post. Rosé, who seemed to have noticed the issue, decided to edit and repost the story, instead writing, “neooooo-mu neomu”.
1. It’s just funny because Rose has 0 association with that groupㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. F*ck, this is so ridiculousㅋㅋㅋㅠ do you really think she’s like that?
3. That’s why your usual image is so importantㅋㅋㅋㅋ Do you really think that Rose knows about ilbe?ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
4. Rose was born overseas so of course she wouldn’t know….
5. People accuse you of being “ilbe” even just by using satoori.. ah it’s f*cking draining
6. Do you really think she’d know?
7. Damn, this is way too forcedㅋㅋㅋㅋ
8. Are you joking…. Just thinking about the staffs telling Rose to edit her story makes me laugh. I wonder what the staff told herㅠㅋㅋㅋ
9. This is so nitty picky, seriously… what’s more is that Rose is a foreigner
10. Seems like anyone can become a journalist at this point…
11. Wow what a load of BS…
12. Of course she wrote that without knowing… but it’s true that it’s an ilbe term
13. Do you really think she’d know?? It’s f*cking annoying how journalist just copy paste things and force controversies like that
14. Hul so it was an ilbe term.. I didn’t even know